Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Checking in.




What are your impediments to creativity?

Mine are:

1. Procrastination

2. Lack of focus

3. Easily Overwhelmed

4. Fear of Judgement


I love painting. I realize that I don't start projects because I know they will be interrupted. So I just don't start.
I don't want to feel guilty for putting off other peoples' needs in order to focus on my own projects.

However, I know myself well enough to realize that I need to be creative, and I deserve to feel the positive rewards experienced by spending time "doing my own thing."

So a solution would be to schedule my creative projects into my life. Tuesday mornings and Wednesday afternoons, for example. I really have been handed the gift of TIME, now that my kids are older, I am able to get some creative ideas completed if I am focused and determined. And I will feel less guilty if I have scheduled time - so that all the REST of my hours are dedicated to the High Maintenance members of my family!

Regarding #4. Fear of Judgement: This has to do more with my writing, not my painting. I have a lot of risqué ideas, I know that. I also have a LOT of extremely conservative friends and family who are quick to provide their unsolicited opinions.

However, I do believe that some of my ideas are very unique and worth exploring. Easy solution: pen name!!


OKAY it's time to go back to the volunteer job I am supposed to be doing: Yes, I am procrastinating! Today I am printing spine labels with Library of Congress codes for my Pastor's personal library. I was SO intimidated by the task (because some of the books / journals are not in the library at all) that it took me 4 days to focus and realize that "I CAN DO THIS!!"

No comments: